Metavist version 2
Welcome to the collaborative development site for Metavist version 2!
Metavist is a metadata editor for the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) spatial metadata standard, version 2, and for the Biological Data Profile version 2. Metavist version 1.x has been available since late 2004 and was written by Dave Rugg in Visual Basic.Net using version 1.1 of the Framework. The current version is 1.6 (released November 2007) for version 1.1 and 2.0 of the .Net Framework.
Based on my (Dave) use of Metavist and on the many comments received from users, there are a number of objectives for version 2 of Metavist:
- improve the interface for Entity & Attribute
- improve window scaling (i.e., improve use of screen)
- add infrastructure for multiple language support
- create a persistent user configuration file
- "save on exit" dialog with user
- database approach to more metadata elements
- improved help
- improved support for profiles other than the Biological Data Profile
- other features people suggest at this site!
For version 2, a more collaborative approach to development is being experimented with. The initial collaboration is around improving the Entity & Attribute interface. This is being done with Dr. Craig Palmer (UNLV), Dr. Renée Bryce (Utah State), Dr. Fatma Nasoz (UNLV), and Mehmet Bayburt (UNLV). We're also hoping to have some time to work on help features.
We chose to host the project on CodePlex because of the ease of providing Community Technology Previews as we add features to the software and the ability to interact with users/developers via discussions and issue tracking. Please feel free to use both of these features to provide feedback to us and make the final software a better product for all of us.
Additional information on starting a new project is available here: Project Startup Guide